Sunday, October 17, 2010

Congratulations Ivy!!!




Miss Ivy has great news. This morning, she passed her big test and is certified by Therapy Dogs International. She can now assist people who need a hand (or paw) while going through a struggle in a hospital, nursing home, shelter for abused women and children, hospice center, reading lessons, grieving, and lots of other settings. www.tdi-dog.org is the website.
The testing was not easy and involved about 12 different obedience commands. I nearly had a heart attack when instead of coming to my side when called off leash (an easy task for her), she decided to race like an Indy car around the field house. After some coaxing to come back to me, the tester told me in a somewhat stern voice, "She may try one more time," creating high anxiety for me! On the second try, she was obedient and came to my side. Thank you, Ivy.
I would venture to guess that she was not in the top 10% of today's TDI testing class. But she made it! This is awfully good for a 13 month old (minimum age to test) and considering that she is a Labradoodle (highly "enthusiastic" by nature).
We are so proud of Miss Ivy. She is excited about having finished grad school and about "finding a job." She is thinking about applying for a position with an abuse shelter in Lake County called A Safe Place. High Four (and dew claw) for Ivy. Bark, Bark.

Ivy Johnson Family