Thursday, May 5, 2011

 
Hi Kristi & Chad,
 
I hope this email finds you well!  I wanted to send you a brief update on Dougal for his first birthday!  Dougal is doing really well--he's such a happy boy and we're having lots of fun together.  We start our second round of competitive obedience classes this weekend.  He is doing really well in class, which we use more for fun and bonding time than anything else.  We'll see how far we get, but it's possible we might try a competition or two after a few more courses.  His leash manners still aren't the greatest (particularly when he knows he's going to the park!) but he's becoming a great runner and we jog together a few times a week.  I'm hoping to get him up to the cottage in a few months to try our hand at swimming. 
 
He's certainly not adverse to dirty puddles, though he could do without the rain!  As you can see from the pictures, his favorite ball is never far from his side, unless he has dumped it in my lap to have me throw it--he's an obsessive retriever (but only his own ball, nobody else's will do!)
 
 
 
Dougal had his first haircut in March.  I am pretty sure I was more horrified by it than he was, though it's grown out a bit and I think he's pretty cute.  His coat is incredibly curly--I don't think he'll ever have the abominable snowman look again, which is probably for the best (at least in terms of grooming!).  He'll certainly be more comfortable when D.C.'s August temperatures hit.
 
 
The doodle popularity in my neighborhood is skyrocketing and many of Dougal's bestfriends are Doodles, which makes for a pretty funny sight!  I couldn't ask for a better guy and am so greatful to have him in my life. 
 
All the best,
 
Hanna